Ministry : Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment
It seeks to provide senior citizens belonging to the category of BPL and suffering from any age-related disability / infirmity such as low vision, hearing impairment, loss of teeth and locomotor disability with such assisted-living devices that can restore near normalcy in their body functions, overcoming the manifested disability / infirmity.
- Beneficiaries are Senior citizens of BPL category.
- It is a central sector scheme provided by the Welfare Fund for Senior Citizens. In the year 2016, the fund was allotted by center.
- It is a framework for the provision of physical aids and assisted-living devices belonging to the BPL group for senior citizens.
- Free delivery of the equipment free of charges, proportionate to the degree of disability / infirmity that is manifested among the qualifying senior citizens.
- In the case of multiple disabilities / infirmities in the same person, assistive equipment will be provided for each disability / impairment.
- The equipment can assist senior citizens to resolve physical disability associated with their age and lead a dignified and active life with reduced dependency on caregivers or other family members.
- ALIMCO will carry out free servicing of aids & assisted living devices for one year.
- The State Governments / UT Administrations will recognise beneficiaries in each district through a committee chaired by the Deputy Commissioner / District Collector.
- The State Government / UT Administration / District Level Committee can also use the details of BPL recipients receiving old age pension under the NSAP or any other State / UT scheme to recognise senior citizens in the category of BPL.
- 30% of the beneficiaries in each district are women, to the degree possible.
- In organized Camps, the devices will be distributed.